Taste of the Gateway
The airport region is home to some of the Milwaukee’s most diverse and historical restaurants, each bringing their own culture and traditions to the melting pot that is: The Gateway to Milwaukee. Since 2016, the Airport Gateway Business Improvement District has showcased the locally owned and operated food businesses in the area with a community event – The Taste of The Gateway.
While the format of the event has changed over the years, the focus remains the same: showcasing the great culinary establishments within Milwaukee’s Airport Region.
Taste of the Gateway through the years:
From 2016 – 2019 the in-person event was held on a summer evening at the Garden District Gardens (South 6th Street and Norwich Avenue). Restaurants provided samplings for attendees to purchase for $1.00.
11 restaurants participated in the inaugural event.
The first ‘Flying Fork’ award for best tasting sample was presented to Cork & Cleaver (inside The Clarion Hotel).
15 participating restaurants. Chef Espinosa of the Aviator Restaurant / Best Western Plus Milwaukee Airport Hotel was presented the ‘Flying Fork’ award for best tasting sample.
18 participating culinary businesses. ‘Flying Fork’ award winner: Altitude Restaurant, inside The Crowne Plaza Hotel.
In 2020 the event format was tweaked to meet the needs of restaurants and community members. In place of an in-person tasting experience, diners were welcomed to a ‘dining days’ type event. The Gateway to Milwaukee sponsored an instant discount to each customer order during the multi-day promotion.
• Customers were offered $5.00 off their $10.00 purchase, or $10.00 off purchases over $20.00.
• 12 restaurants participated in the 4-day dining event.
• 888 discounts were redeemed, totaling $7,820 in reimbursement to restaurants.
• Participating establishments had a 10-40% increase in sales during the event.
- The reworked event provided diners with $10.00 off any $20 purchase.
- 10 restaurants participated in the 2-day dining event.
- 802 total discounts were extended to customers during the event totaling $8,020.00.
- 67% of participating restaurants saw an increase in sales over the 2-day event.
- In total, the participating restaurants saw $30,963.74 in gross sales from customers who utilized the Taste of the Gateway discount.
- Over 83% of participating restaurants believe the additional exposure their restaurant received from the promotion will result in a new customer base.